[Dev] Icedove-libre is now available on [libre] repo

André Silva andre.paulista at adinet.com.uy
Wed May 9 12:57:37 GMT 2012

Em 09-05-2012 04:59, Michał Masłowski escreveu:
>> For a long time our primary mail was Thunderbird, but a libre version
>> with free addons eliminating non-free addons, but thunderbird has a
>> issue; this program has non-free trademark licensing.
> The specific problem is that it disallows selling unmodified copies and
> requires rebranding modified versions, the second part isn't a problem
> (since modifications already require changing the program; other free
> programs like TeX have a similar requirement), except when someone
> modifies it to e.g. not recommend nonfree addons while not rebranding
> it.
>
> (Would call it one of available mail clients, haven't seen it named a
> "primary mail".)
>
>> Debian Icedove exists for two purposes; because of the trademark
>> issues, and in order to meet Debian quality standards, but this
>> program is not free because contains non-free addons and non-free
>> searchplugins.
> We don't call such programs nonfree.  Addons are recommended, not
> included; aren't searchplugins trivial files stating how to access an
> external search engine (we don't run these, so they have different
> problems than free or nonfree software)?
>
>> So, Márcio Silva (coadde) and André Silva (emulatorman) began creating
>> a libre version of Icedove without non-free addons and non-free
>> searchplugins including the advantage of free trademark provided by
>> Icedove.
> Icedove is a trademark?
>
> (This will probably make having a Thunderbird-like mail client on
> mips64el easier.)

 Mtjm, thanks for the information, i improved the news message on main
site, i put it:

/"We recently added the Debian Icedove mail client to the [libre] repo
(actually "icedove-libre"), and encourage Thunderbird users to switch.
For a long time our one of available mail clients was Thunderbird-libre
(a version with free addons and free searchplugins) but the specific
problem is that it disallows selling unmodified copies and requires
rebranding modified versions.

Icedove is an e-mail client distributed by the Debian project. It is
based on Mozilla Thunderbird. With Icedove, the Debian project aims to
provide a version of the Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client which has not
yet been kept in synchronization with upstream development of
Thunderbird as originally planned. It removes the proprietary artwork
and plug-in repositories used in the official release by the Mozilla
Corporation, but this program has a freedom issue: recommends non-free
addons and non-free searchplugins.

So, Márcio Silva (coadde) and André Silva (emulatorman) began creating a
libre version of Icedove without non-free addons and non-free
searchplugins including the advantage provided by Icedove, so that
Parabola could continue to distribute the software with modifications
permitted, without being bound by the use of trademark requirements that
the Mozilla Foundation had invoked.

Since today, Parabola GNU/Linux-libre has Icedove-Libre with Language
Packs included on [libre] repo.

Enjoy the Freedom!"
/

If you found a other issue on here, please alert me about it, and i will
modify the message again ;)