[Dev] Icedove-libre is now available on [libre] repo

Luke T.Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 10 21:36:52 GMT 2012

At Wed, 09 May 2012 09:59:49 +0200,
Michał Masłowski wrote:
> > Debian Icedove exists for two purposes; because of the trademark
> > issues, and in order to meet Debian quality standards, but this
> > program is not free because contains non-free addons and non-free
> > searchplugins.
>
> aren't searchplugins trivial files stating how to access an
> external search engine (we don't run these, so they have different
> problems than free or nonfree software)?

Some of the "default" searchplugin files (trivial XML files) employ
non-free or non-privacy-friendly network services.

Because multiple Mozilla-based programs were all implementing their
own list of "libre searchplugins", we now have "mozilla-searchplugins"
on libre (used by Iceweasel and IceCat).

Not urgent, but when the next package of icedove is being released, it
should symlink /usr/lib/icedove/searchplugins to
/usr/mozilla/searchplugins, and add 'mozilla-searchplugins' as a
depenency.