[Dev] Parabola stance on game assets

Freemor freemor at freemor.ca
Fri Sep 28 15:18:58 GMT 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 10:11:17AM -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> that sounds all neat and clean - but the ugly secondary issue that is
> barking loud here is that both the FSDG and the "free culture
> definition" consider some of those "things" to be free merely because
> they are artworks, even though they would be considered non-free if they
> were software
>
> so whatever line we want to draw on the
> "requires/facilitates/allows/prevents" spectrum of non-free toleration,
> we must actually draw the same line in two different places depending on
> what type of "thing" that thing is
>
> i say the "free culture definition" should be the one-to-one analog of
> the "free software definition", providing all 4 freedoms with complete
> corresponding sources; but the "social contract" document literally says
> otherwise today

Interesting points as always. I personally would prefer a single line to work
to. Cleaner, less confusing. But if that is the framework we have then we
should either work within that framework or re-define the framework.

I suppose we could go nuts and create your-artistic-freedom that blacklist all
things with non 4 freedoms type art assets. Thus people who care could install
artistic-freedom and people more in line with the FSDG could not install.. and
then everyone is happy except the maintainer of your-artistic-freedom.