[Dev] Parabola stance on game assets

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Sep 28 14:11:17 GMT 2018

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 10:16:55 -0300 Freemor wrote:
> For me as long as "thing we provide" needs user interaction to reach
> "non-free thing" then the choice to use non-free thing is the users.

that sounds all neat and clean - but the ugly secondary issue that is
barking loud here is that both the FSDG and the "free culture
definition" consider some of those "things" to be free merely because
they are artworks, even though they would be considered non-free if they
were software

so whatever line we want to draw on the
"requires/facilitates/allows/prevents" spectrum of non-free toleration,
we must actually draw the same line in two different places depending on
what type of "thing" that thing is

i say the "free culture definition" should be the one-to-one analog of
the "free software definition", providing all 4 freedoms with complete
corresponding sources; but the "social contract" document literally says
otherwise today