[Dev] linux-libre-4.15.9_gnu-1 update missing critical kernel modules

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Thu Mar 15 06:31:54 GMT 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 09:35:45PM -0700, jc_gargma wrote:
> The linux-libre-4.15.9_gnu-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz kernel update that just went
> live is missing numerous critical kernel modules. Had I not noticed the
> mkinitcpio errors during update I would have found my system unbootable.
>
> An quick exam shows all file-systems other than EXT4 have been disabled in the
> kernel configuration. So has dm-crypt and all libre wifi drivers.
> # CONFIG_REISERFS_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_JFS_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_XFS_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_GFS2_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_OCFS2_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_BTRFS_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_NILFS2_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_F2FS_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_FS_DAX is not set
>
> # CONFIG_DM_CRYPT is not set
>
> # CONFIG_ATH9K is not set
> # CONFIG_ATH9K_HTC is not set
> # CONFIG_B43 is not set
> # CONFIG_CARL9170 is not set
>
> These are missing across x86_64, i686, and armv7h architectures.

This is bad. As a temporary hack, I removed linux-libre from the
repositories, to mitigate the impact this upgrade would have on existing
systems. However, this currently makes pacstrap incapable of
bootstrapping and installing new systems, so we need a real fix ASAP.

I see that my changes to the PKGBUILDs have been reverted, and an
upgrade to 4.15.9 has been squashed into one ~40000 line commit, that I
can't possibly review to figure out what's wrong. We need to wait for
Megver before we can even start to sort this out.

-A

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key