[Dev] Parabolaiso r819.8041f96 release announcement

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Sep 22 11:45:15 GMT 2017

to answer to some of josh's concerns:

----------
On 09/22/2017 06:16 AM, Josh Branning wrote:
> (so the user will be able to choose between MATE or LXDE).

the problem since May and the very reason i made a LXDE version is
because there is some regression in mate itself which is causing all new
builds of the mate ISO to be broken and we have not yet found the
solution - if not for this issue than this probably would have been
re-packaged back in May

----------
On 09/22/2017 06:16 AM, Josh Branning wrote:
> I seem to remember there being two different repositories for this

you may be thinking of the obsolete build system - that was replaced
around 2013 and remains there for historical reasons - a more astute
point to make though is that the CURRENT parabolaiso repo has itself not
seen any upstream changes since 2013 and is really worth investigating
as to how difficult it would be to rebase now

----------
On 09/22/2017 06:16 AM, Josh Branning wrote:> install scripts for MATE
and LXDE on the CLI iso and perhaps even on the
> graphical isos as a sort-of backup, if they're not already.

the LXDE ISO currently includes the original mate install script in
/root for in case X fails to load - it still work fine - the regression
i mentioned only affects the live environment - i agree it is a good
idea to retain it as long as it works - some others are working on an
idea to make tutorial system for the CLI installer so perhaps the
install script could be added when that is finished - that is a lower
priority now though as long as the current graphical installer is broken