[Dev] Feedback for parabola-mate-2016.07.27-dual.iso

Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic tct at ceata.org
Sun Aug 14 12:42:05 GMT 2016

On 14.08.2016 14:11, André Silva wrote:
> On 08/14/2016 05:53 AM, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic wrote:
>> I assume MATE/LightDM is preferred because it's light, but I suggest
>> Parabola also offers an ISO with better looks DE/DM (and also popular
>> applications such as LibreOffice)
>
> If you want, we could add LibreOffice in the next version.

If more users want that, of course.

IMO, Parabola could learn from Trisquel's experience and provide
different flavors.

https://trisquel.info/en/download

Parabola with Mate/LightDM can be considered Parabola Light. Similar to
Trisquel Mini (LXDE)

An ISO of Parabola with GNOME 3 could be considered default Parabola.
And the KDE flavor could be named Parabola KDE.

Or the other way around, Parabola with KDE could be the default
Parabola. While Parabola GNOME could be the GNOME 3 flavor.

On the other hand, GNOME is part of GNU, so maybe you would like
Parabola with GNOME 3 to be default Parabola.

I would like very much to be able to recommend novice GNU users Parabola
with a more polished Desktop Environment/Display Manager.

AFAIK, MATE can look awesome too. That could be default Parabola. I
don't know which is the Display Manager for that, but I guess it can't
be LightDM. :-) Trisquel 8 is likely to use MATE:

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/freedom-fridays-development-updates-3

> AFAIK Arch firmware packages don't meet Parabola's policies with regard
> to building the package from source. Could you give us the source code
> to begin the packaging for Parabola?

I believe this is the one:

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/carl9170.fw

Thank GNU,