[Dev] Let's revert and move changes introduced by bugs #645 and #677 on Iceweasel

Florian Pelz pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Sun Nov 1 23:53:09 GMT 2015

On 11/02/2015 12:10 AM, Isaac David wrote:
> [nonprism] does not actually deal with SaaSS, much less it discriminates
> networking programs that give you "choice" of service providers from
> those which don't. It really only does what you read in the Wiki.
> your-privacy bans perfectly free software packages known to use online
> services which in turn are known to engage in mass surveillance; and
> [nonprism] patches some or all of those packages so that you can use
> them without worrying. Yet if you want to avoid SaaSS then activating
> [nonprism] is a reasonable step in that direction because of the
> correlation between SaaSS and mass surveillance. However, [nonprism]
> doesn't guarantee you that even the most obscure free software client
> program meant to be used with SaaSS will be blacklisted. There's nothing
> a distro can do to make sure the user never connects to SaaSS; you still
> need to think about your online practices.

Hm… Does Firefox Hello / Telefónica engage in mass surveillance known to
us? They certainly can, but a quick (maybe too quick) Web search does
not show anything. What is the criterion to remove them from nonprism?

On 11/02/2015 12:37 AM, Jorge Araya Navarro wrote:
> More over, I don't see anything intrinsically evil in not having
> different choices of service
> providers (this is not a violation of any of user's software
> freedom), so this is neither a reason to
> ban features from free software.

It seems quite similar to the reasons for free software and not only
open-source in the literal sense. You depend on them.