[Dev] [DRAFT] News post about syslog-ng to metalog change

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Wed Dec 14 17:03:55 GMT 2011

> We [recently discovered][0] that the default logger from upstream, syslog-ng,
> is shipped with unfree documentation. As you may know, we're commited to
> provide not only free software but free documentation to be able to use them.

A link to https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.html would explain
why it's important.

> That's why we decided to provide a fully free replacement for it, named
> metalog. But this isn't a drop-in replacement, so some manual intervention is
> required:

The first sentence suggests doing something more than we did (metalog
was already available and needed nearly no changes).  The meaning is
that we recommend using metalog instead, make it the default logger and
document how to replace syslog-ng by metalog (there are other loggers,
but we don't know them).