[Dev] [DRAFT] News post about syslog-ng to metalog change

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Wed Dec 14 18:44:05 GMT 2011

# Metalog migration. Manual intervention required!

We [recently discovered][0] that the default logger from upstream, syslog-ng,
is shipped with unfree documentation. As you may know, we're commited to
provide not only free software but [free documentation is also important][2] to
be able to use them.

That's why we decided to replace it for a fully free replacement named metalog,
that was previously on [extra] but it's going to be moved into [libre]. This
isn't a drop-in replacement though, so some manual intervention is required:

* Accept the syslog-ng removal on next update

* Change syslog-ng for metalog on the DAEMONS array (/etc/rc.conf)

* Update your scripts to point to /var/log/$facility/current (instead of, for
  instance `tail -f /var/log/everything.log` use `tail -f
  /var/log/everything/current`)

## Things you can do to make syslog-ng available again

Ask the syslog-ng developers to provide free documentation for their software.
_CC-NC-ND isn't free_. Talk to [encyclomundi][1] about this.

[0]: https://bugs.parabolagnulinux.org/bugs/issue292
[1]: http://parlementum.net/cer
[2]: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.html

--
Salud!
Nicolás Reynolds,
xmpp:fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
omb:http://identi.ca/fauno

OTR: C0CB1F0F 01DB5E18 2D634C2A A4626858 E7C7C3A2

http://parabolagnulinux.org
http://endefensadelsl.org

"Freedom [...] is messy" ~ Eben Moglen