[Dev] [DRAFT] News post about syslog-ng to metalog change

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Wed Dec 14 16:47:44 GMT 2011

# Metalog migration. Manual intervention required!

We [recently discovered][0] that the default logger from upstream, syslog-ng,
is shipped with unfree documentation. As you may know, we're commited to
provide not only free software but free documentation to be able to use them.

That's why we decided to provide a fully free replacement for it, named
metalog. But this isn't a drop-in replacement, so some manual intervention is
required:

* Accept the syslog-ng removal on next update

* Change syslog-ng for metalog on the DAEMONS array (/etc/rc.conf)

* Update your scripts to point to /var/log/$facility/current (instead of, for
  instance `tail -f /var/log/everything.log` use `tail -f
  /var/log/everything/current`)

## Things you can do to make syslog-ng available again

Ask the syslog-ng developers to provide free documentation for their software.
_CC-NC-ND isn't free_. Talk to [encyclomundi][1] about this.

[0]: https://bugs.parabolagnulinux.org/bugs/issue292
[1]: http://parlementum.net/cer

--
Salud!
Nicolás Reynolds,
xmpp:fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
omb:http://identi.ca/fauno

OTR: C0CB1F0F 01DB5E18 2D634C2A A4626858 E7C7C3A2

http://parabolagnulinux.org
http://endefensadelsl.org

"Freedom [...] is messy" ~ Eben Moglen