[Assist] Connection OK, wicd clients say: disconnected (+ wi-fi hardware cables)

Rudolf Dovičín rudolf.dovicin at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:07:31 BST 2018

Hello, dear supporters. :-)

I have bought refurbished Atheros AR5BXB112 AR9380 to my ThinkPad X200
with Libreboot.

It seems to work well (wicd-gtk show lot of networks from my
mini-routher and from people in my neighbours, etherape shows, that it
is working, when I am browsing, browser is working without connected
LAN cable...)

What is strange, wicd-gtk, wicd-cli show, that both, my cable and my
wi-fi interfaces are disconnected.

But I can connect to wi-fi by wicd-gtk, only graphics stop working:
Progress bar start moving, it writes Connectin on it, but running
rectagle freezes, all connections are in foggy/grey unclickable
graphics.
Status bar on the bottom writes: "Disconecting active connections..."
But it turn on my wi-fi.
Both
wicd-cli -iz
wicd-cli -iy
writes "Connection status: Not connected"
even if wi-fi was turned on by wicd-gtk and browsing is funcioning

How is it possible?

wicd.service is running.

And I cannot connect enp0s25, wired connection.
wicd-cli -cz writes:
Connecting to wired connection on enp0s25
Putting interface down...
Resetting IP address...
Flushing the routing table...
Putting interface up...
Obtaining IP address...
done!
But it is not working: When I turn off wi-fi on mini-router, I lose
connection to Internet.

Please, what can be wrong? How to inspect it? And how to correct it?

wicd-curses crashes, probably because I have my wi-fi name with
diacritics, it says on trying to start:
"UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc4 in position
4: ordinal not in range(128)"]

BTW: Hardware Maintenance Manual for X200 about wi-fi card says:
"In models with wireless LAN card that has three antenna connector,
plug the gray cable (MAIN) into the jack labeled TR1, the white cable
(3rd) into jack labeled R0 or TR3, and the black cable (AUX) into jack
labeled TR2 on the card."
But my card has connectors with names CH0, CH1 & CH2.
I guessed it by number order TR1 => CH0, TR2 => CH1, TR3 => CH2.
Is it able to be working with wrongly connected cables? (E.g. Antennas
with swapped frequencies, or both frequencies together so it will gain
lesser part of signals?)

--
Rudolf Dovičín
Matice slovenskej 1260/4-7