[Dev] wiki-editing / translations

Daniel parabola at koffeinfriedhof.de
Thu May 11 11:58:09 GMT 2023

Hi all ;)

I'm currently "playing" with an offline mediawiki for myself to get an idea what
a good workflow to translate pages could be. I've copied some random templates
to get used to them.

I've started using the Parabola installation guide and translated it close to
the english original into german language with following questions coming to
my mind:
 - do I need to translate the templates the same as default sites, e.g.
"Template:Note(Deutsch)" or is there a special case to look at?
 - There are some in-article-pages like {{:Installation Guide/Inits Note}}.
Same question here. Is it better to include the translations in the main
article or to create subpages like in the english version for better
maintenance? Afaik there is no automatism to check such things?
 - As there is no signing in with my parabola account, is the mailing list the
right place to publish changes like site translations? Would be great to have
a kind of reviewing as I get "blind" while translating a larger part of text.
 - Do you favor translating english parabola-pages  (like I did) or adjust
archwiki-pages to keep close to them?
 - is there already a possibility to work offline? I do my editing in emacs and
do not really like the web-edit stuff.

And last but not least: The english pages itself could need some more
information on contributing as it is difficult to really get an idea how you
imagined a workflow while setting the site up.

Thank you and happy contributing ;)

PS: I did not add my translation yet as I've only done the main page so far
and missing all the good stuff like chroot, hostname, … finalize.