[Dev] Orphan Pcr package [castle-combat] marked out-of-date

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Fri Apr 17 12:51:47 GMT 2020

I gave this package a quick shot as well, and I can get it to start.
Unfortunately, the code quality is not very good, and, as theova said,
it would take a bit of an effort to clean up and get it up to good
working condition.

If this is desirable, then we should open an issue on the tracker
regarding this package to keep track of what needs to be done.

off the top of my head:
 - the setup.py file is broken, needs to be ported to to setuptools from
   distutils
 - the imports are relative and do not work if packgaged
 - there is no proper entry point, only a quick-and-dirty bash script.
   instead, the entry_points option of setuptools should be used
 - the package data is installed in /usr/bin/$pkgname, should rather be
   moved to /usr/share/$pkgname (the path is hardcoded)
 - the license of the sound and music assets is not clear
 - the code quality is not very good, imports are scattered all over the
   place, there is no clear structure

probably more to do here. This is not a job for distro maintainers, this
is a job for volunteers to the original project.

I'd be pretty sad to see it go, looks like a cool little project. I'd be
happy if there would be someone stepping up to get it back in shape. We
can also contact the original author of the package to get him in the
loop. At the very least, we should flood his github issue tracker :)

-A