[Dev] Let's talk about Infrastructure and Hosting

Vikings GmbH hello at vikings.net
Sun Nov 17 08:43:05 GMT 2019

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 22:25:50 -0500
bill-auger <bill-auger at peers.community> wrote:

> i dont think supporting older PPC CPUs is on the roadmap -
> those would probably need to be separate ports; and the last
> arch-like system (now defunct) was for PPC6 - there was a large
> gap there that oaken-source and ebrasca had to leap over to get
> to POWER9
>
> the talos has dropped in price significantly recently though,
> and it was just RYF-certified last week, so we really should do
> our best to support it - i agree that one of us should probably
> have access to one - as you pointed out, that may even be
> necessary - in the worst case scenario, maybe we can entice
> ebrasca to dedicate a piece of his for testing purposes, or for
> building finicky packages

I'd like to suggest to tell Raptor Computing Systems that you'd like
to port Parabola GNU/Linux to PPC and make them aware of your plans;
they usually support things like that strongly from what we've seen so
far. They might even provide you with a machine that is either
significantly reduced in price, free of charge or perhaps as a loaner.
Vikings would be the last to not chime in with space and infrastructure
to host such a machine with the potential outcome that Parabola will be
ported.

> as will be the case for any small manufacturer of new
> libre-design hardware, early adopters are the most important
> factor for its success, and i think the only options now for
> POWER9 are debian and opensuse - it will surely be a lot
> of work; but parabola is well-tooled for the task of porting and
> already has bootable prototypes for both POWER9 and RISC-V - i
> dont think that any other FSDG distros are working on either of
> those ports, or even proposing to do so; but at least one should
> exist

The distro choices for PPC are very limited at present, the more it
would be welcomed to improve the situation from our POV.
--
Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Cordialement/Met vriendelijke groet
The Vikings Team

Web: https://www.vikings.net/
Store: https://store.vikings.net/
Phone: +49 69 247 54 91 0
Fax: +49 69 247 50 339

Follow us on Mastodon: https://social.vikings.net/@vikings
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/vikingslibre

Vikings GmbH
Sauerackerweg 14, 60529 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Register Court: AG Frankfurt am Main
Register No.: HR B 84497, CEO: Thomas Umbach
Tax Office: Frankfurt am Main, VATIN: DE254094338

GPG key fingerprint: FD5E 2543 EE62 7395 00A6 9FBB F228 7A48 7CA2 3FA5