[Dev] Chromebook C201 wifi

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 20:24:37 GMT 2019

This is interesting, a while back I tried plugging in an external HDD to
an olinuxino (ARM) using parabola, and it didn't get enough power
either. At that point, I assumed it was because the board wasn't
providing the right power through the USB. I was using a power pack that
matched the recommended input voltage and current of the board.

Possibly a different thing entirely, but you never know ... there could
be some setting in the kernel or bootloader or something that means the
devices are only getting limited power through the USBs.

Another way to test if it is a parabola issue, could be to burn a live
CD or make a usb of a different distro, and see if the adapter works
with that, though if it is solely a bootloader issue, I guess that
wouldn't be much help less a alternate one is also supplied. It is
something I didn't do, because I assumed it would have probably been the
hardware simply being not able to supply required the power.

Note that on some other less-free similar dev boards, USB hdds worked,
albeit with a different distro. I know fosho that on some of these
boards there is a bootloader setting where you can adjust the output
current/voltage, so there may be one in u-boot too.

Cheers,

Josh