[Dev] Fw: Parabola stance on game assets

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Sep 28 02:01:36 GMT 2018

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 02:39:29 +0100 Josh wrote:
> Obviously tools for making the assets inc. project files are a bonus,
> as with schematics / pcb layouts (as with OSHW), for me at least :)

its not just a "bonus" - that is the difference between the the
end-user being able to exercise all 4 freedoms - without access to all
of the underlying sources and tools, modifications are extremely limited
to the crude at best

to say those recipes and tools are a bonus to the compiled data is akin
to saying that source code and a suitable compiler are a bonus to the
also having the pre-compiled binary artifacts of software - when seen
in those terms, it becomes clear that those pre-compiled binary
artifacts are not even necessary - if you had all of the inputs and
tools that created them, you could re-create those artifacts yourself