[Dev] Massive package breakage on i686 (missing libraries)

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Tue Nov 6 18:38:33 GMT 2018

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:08:43 -0300
Freemor <freemor at freemor.ca> wrote:

> Some thing in this list strike me as odd
Given the size of the list, I expected it to have some false positive
when I sent the first email, and there indeed were some.

== iceweasel and icedove ==
> for example on my i686 machine currently fully -Suy'd
> Iceweasel works fine

Here I can also launch iceweasel fine, and I still have the same
version of iceweasel installed:
> libre/iceweasel 1:61.0.2-1.parabola3 [installed]
>     Libre standalone web browser based on Mozilla Firefox

Here's what was on the log I sent before:
> iceweasel (1:61.0.2-1.parabola3):
> /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugin-container: libxul.so
> /usr/lib/iceweasel/libmozavcodec.so: libmozavutil.so
> /usr/lib/iceweasel/libxul.so: libmozsandbox.so liblgpllibs.so
>                               libmozgtk.so

If I look at theses individual libraries some are broken:
> $ ldd /usr/lib/iceweasel/libmozavcodec.so
> 	linux-gate.so.1 (0xb7fa2000)
> 	libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7ec6000)
> 	libmozavutil.so => not found
> 	libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7ce4000)
> 	/usr/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fa4000)

So maybe it does not uses theses libraries(plugin-container,
libmozavcodec.so, libxul.so), or maybe it dlopens them and fails?

I've looked at the x86_64 iceweasel, and there is exactly the same
broken libraries.

Maybe theses are not an issue? or maybe it only affects obscure uses
cases?

All the above apply also to icedove.

== gthumb ==
I've also still the same version than the one in the log:
> extra/gthumb 3.6.1-2.0 [installed]
>     Image browser and viewer for the GNOME Desktop

If I look at the log, theses are most probably extensions, so they
may be dlopened or something like that.

> gthumb (3.6.1-2.0):
> 	/usr/lib/gthumb/extensions/libburn_disc.so: libidn.so.11
I launched gthumb, and this extension was deactivated
(Preferences->Extension->Burn CD/DVD).

When I activated it my screen was flooded with the same error message
appearing. I had to go on real console (ctrl-alt-f2) and kill gthumb.
It should be easy to try: I didn't get increased CPU or RAM usage
while it was happening.

> 	/usr/lib/gthumb/extensions/libraw_files.so: libraw.so.19
I had the same behavior with the Preferences->Extension->RAW format
support, I wrote down the message:
> Could not open the module "raw_files": libraw.so.19: cannot open

So in this case it's pretty clear that there are still issues even if
it seem to work at first sight.

I don't know why theses extensions were deactivated though.

Denis.