[Dev] Parabolaiso r819.8041f96 release announcement

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Sep 22 18:53:57 GMT 2017

On 09/22/2017 11:34 AM, Megver83 wrote:
> When did I mention an installer?

ok so you are mostly interested in a liveCD with openRC for pen testing
that does not need an installer - ive been going at it from the opposite
direction - assuming that the main reason people would want an graphical
liveCD of a rolling distro would be as a user-friendly mousey installer
- the last we discussed this was shortly after hyperbola started and you
had forked the calamares installer - that is why i assumed you were
making an openRC installer for hyperbola

On 09/22/2017 11:34 AM, Megver83 wrote:
> I remember, I'll look for a solution, so we can have updated graphical ISOs.

there is currently no problem with the LXDE-systemd ISO - the only thing
goofy about it is that it has the mate installer inside - there is also
a LXDE-openRC ISO profile that boots partially - it needs to have some
services started in the 'customize-root-image' script then it will
probably boot fully - you know much more about openRC than i do so this
would be a great place to put your attention - my changes are all on the
'lxde' branch of my fork on notabug - this is the same repo cloned from
parabola so you can pull my changes very easily

    git remote add notabug https://notabug.org/bill-auger/parabolaiso.git

check out the 'lxde' branch and look at the config/lxde-openrc directory
- as a bonus, there is a new switch that cuts the build time and ISO
size in half:

    ./build.sh -T x86_64
or
    ./build.sh -T i686

if you can fix the problem with the mate ISO thats cool too but it is
not critical - its good to have choices but from what people have told
me whenever i mention this, mate does not seem very popular - about half
of them came right out with "i dont like it at all" - i installed XFCE4
recently and found it to be a good balance of user-friendly and
aesthetically pleasing

as for merging with upstream, it really may be more trouble than it is
worth - i would not be surprised if there were more features removed
than added