[Dev] update your-freedom not to reject firefox

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Sep 15 05:28:17 GMT 2017

On 09/15/2017 12:58 AM, Eliot Reyna wrote:
> Iceweasel name brings a reminder of the ideal of freedom
> on the Internet browsing. What if we discuss with the
> GNU IceCat commumity for add to Iceweasel and Icedove
> in the GNUzilla project?

just a few weeks ago i actually suggested that GNU change the name of
icecat back to iceweasel - the response was that the GNU browser has
been known as icecat for such a long time that it would be confusing to
change it now

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2017-08/msg00033.html

i like the idea of keeping the iceweasel name because of the similarity
with icecat - the situation is not very confusing now - as of now one
can say that the difference is that icecat is LTS and iceweasel is
rolling - what could become a confusion depends on what hyperbola
decides to call their browser - if hyperbola  is to be an LTS distro
then presumably it's browser would follow the upstream ESR releases but
if that browser is also to be named iceweasel then the branding
recognition will be diluted in it's meaning