[Dev] Blacklist zeitgeist in your-privacy-blacklist

Isaac David isacdaavid at isacdaavid.info
Tue May 23 00:53:19 GMT 2017

Josh Branning wrote:
> It basically keeps a log of all of the users actions in the form of
> an sqllite3 database.

where do you draw the line between this kind of desktop log and the
plethora of traditional-ish system logs? should we also blacklist
journaling filesystems? storing useful information is something that
lots of programs are expected to do.

I sense a misunderstanding in the purpose of `your-privacy`. afaict,
`your-privacy` is designed to shun packages that exfiltrate
information to third parties (internet companies for example), but
zeitgeist only makes the information it collects locally-available
(correct me if I'm wrong, I don't use it myself).

> Deleting the package can cause problems for gnome-desktop users
> though,...
>
> ...It is worth noting that this affects all gnome desktops, and
> ubuntu and it's derivatives.

I don't think so. I'm a GNOME user and I have never been asked to
install zeitgeist. I think this could be a problem for other
GNOME-based desktops though. I'm thinking of Elementary and Unity.

--
Isaac David
GPG: 38D33EF29A7691134357648733466E12EC7BA943