[Dev] Fwd: Re: Article: Chromium's subtle freedom flaws

Nicolás A. Ortega deathsbreed at themusicinnoise.net
Tue May 9 15:40:48 GMT 2017

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 11:55:09AM -0300, Megver83 wrote:
> Is this really an internal problem of Parabola? I say this because,
> what if other distros adopt qt5-webengine? then it will become a
> bigger problem not only for us, but for the other free distros too.
> Maybe we should discuss this with the FSF and/or the GNU Project, they
> could fork Chromium/Iridium/Ungoogled-chromium like they did with
> Icecat (like creating an "Icemium").

Or Ungoogled-Chromium/Iridium could attempt to join the GNU project.

> For now, I think the best thing would be to blacklist the packages
> that depend on webengine, after all, it is nonfree, and we block a lot
> of free software that depends or works only with nonfree packages
> (with no [libre] replacement).

I would like to ask, what exactly is non-free about qt5-webengine? The
only argument I've heard so far is that it uses Chromium, yet there is
still no real dirt on Chromium being non-free. Unless someone can start
pointing out specific files in qt5-webengine's source/dependencies that
are non-free I would propose taking it off the blacklist. This has been
going on for way too long and we're getting ahead of ourselves. First
you make it evident that it is non-free *then* you begin discussion on
how to deal with it. This is putting the cart in front of the ox. If
someone is suspected of murder then you do not start thinking about what
their sentence should be until they have been convicted. Let's please be
at least a little bit skeptical of how so much effort has been going in
to blacklisting chromium and anything using it but absolutely no valid
evidence is anywhere to be found.

I will say as I have in a previous e-mail (and something I mentioned in
the Quarantine Process proposal that seems to have been lost in the huge
donation issue bruhaha) that this information should all be concentrated
in *one place* that is easily accessible for everyone to see and should
be easily edited in the case that certain sources are wrong (as I have
seen them to be in this enormous mess we've been in for months now).

--
Nicolás Ortega Froysa (Deathsbreed)
https://themusicinnoise.net/