[Dev] Calamares Installer (Parabola rebranded) almost ready

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 19:03:18 GMT 2017

See, I'm in two minds. On the one hand there is user experience, and on
the other hand there is architectural elegance.

I cannot think of a solution. If the graphical installer is included,
you lose some architectural elegance, if it's left out, you lose some
user experience.

As it is, I agree that parabola currently firmly lives in the
architectural elegance camp, at least for the CLI version.

I think most people would agree that the current MATE desktop is not
architecturally elegant as it stands, nor the best for user experience,
so whatever the decision with that, there is likely to be an improvement
with the graphical iso regardless.

I did think that you could possibly exclude the graphical installer and
have it as a package instead, instructing users to download it, but that
would break the new no-internet-connection aspect(s) of the installer.

You could produce or remaster two graphical ISOs, one with the
installer, one without, but I think that may be too much work and
perhaps be too picky and be too much of an ask.

It is already known that some people would want to dd to a usb and have
an installer present. If I am correct in saying a dd'ed iso image from a
usb runs entirely in RAM then few will be dding the image as a +RW
portable OS, meaning they shouldn't care if an installer is present.

All in all, I think in this case there is no real wrong answer,
especially no wrong answer worth fighting over.

TBH, I'd probably use the LXDE iso with the installer myself out of
laziness and speed of installation.

With that said and out of the way of, from a user perspective, I would
like the command line version of parabola to have a command line
installer too, both for LXDE desktop and cli installations.