[Dev] Parabola as an option for Purism Librem laptops

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 00:01:14 GMT 2017

As I mentioned, I am not officially affiliated with parabola but I can't
see why you shouldn't be able to do this, parabola being free software
and all. The only problem you might have is if someone who buys a key
asks for the sources, then you'd still have to supply them in a
reasonable time frame, because of the licensing conditions.

The best way to see if the iso will run on a usb key, is to dd the iso
yourself and test. It shouldn't be too difficult; you appear proficient
enough. And I think you may be correct in thinking that this should work.

The licence (GPL) also states that there are no extra restrictions (eg.
commercial): You are allowed to sell copies. Of course, you cannot
change the terms of the licence without everybody who contributed to the
parabola base agreeing, so legally you must make sure that you are able
to provide the sources, if they are requested by your customers.

As you or your customers are, or will be, generally using the usb as an
installation medium, that should run in ram (may be wrong on this), and
not a 'portable installation' of parabola, really you shouldn't need to
pacstrap. Instead, dd should suffice and be just fine.

Someone can correct me if anything I have said is wrong or out of the
ordinary,

Josh