[Dev] Misleading information in EOMA68 news

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Mon Aug 15 19:23:01 GMT 2016

Resending with the right address, please don't CC my Replicant address since
this is not directly related to Replicant.

Le lundi 15 août 2016 à 21:45 +0300, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic a écrit :
> On 15.08.2016 21:23, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:

> > > I'm not really a big fan of the "free-software-friendly" term, exactly
> > > because it's vague (laking a definition/criteria) and it doesn't really
> > > tell users much regarding how respecting of software freedom that piece
> > > of hardware is. That's why a wide range of hardware projects feel at
> > > liberty to promote themselves as "free-software-friendly".
> >
> > Indeed, it's not very precise, but I don't think that's the goal here. I
> > think
> > vague statements are fine as long as they are clearly recognized as such.
>
> It depends on the targeted audience. If that is the general public, I'm
> sure that the average user doesn't clearly recognize this term as vague.
>
> I believe the targeted audience of the Parabola blog is not only
> educated users/free software activists/developers, but the general
> public/average computer user.

I mean that the precise wording "free-software-friendly" is intrinsically vague,
so I doubt that anyone will understand it as an equivalent of "fully free
software" or "freedom-respecting".

So the question is whether it's good to use vague wording. I think that e.g. for
the news title, it would be fine. Of course, a link to RYF and the single-board-
computers page could shed some more lights for anyone interested.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, developer of low-level free software for embedded devices

Website: https://www.paulk.fr/
Coding blog: https://code.paulk.fr/
Git repositories: https://git.paulk.fr/ https://git.code.paulk.fr/