[Dev] Misleading information in EOMA68 news

Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic tct at ceata.org
Mon Aug 15 18:45:37 GMT 2016

On 15.08.2016 21:23, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> Le lundi 15 août 2016 à 21:04 +0300, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic a écrit :
>> On 15.08.2016 20:09, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:

>>> Thus, it would be more accurate to say that the device is free-software-
>>> friendly, which is vague enough to not be contradictory with the facts.
>>
>> I'm not really a big fan of the "free-software-friendly" term, exactly
>> because it's vague (laking a definition/criteria) and it doesn't really
>> tell users much regarding how respecting of software freedom that piece
>> of hardware is. That's why a wide range of hardware projects feel at
>> liberty to promote themselves as "free-software-friendly".
>
> Indeed, it's not very precise, but I don't think that's the goal here. I think
> vague statements are fine as long as they are clearly recognized as such.

It depends on the targeted audience. If that is the general public, I'm
sure that the average user doesn't clearly recognize this term as vague.

I believe the targeted audience of the Parabola blog is not only
educated users/free software activists/developers, but the general
public/average computer user.

I can draw a parallel between "free-software-friendly" hardware and
Android as "open-source" system. Although "open-source" has a
definition, it's a long definition of 10 points and OSI intentionally is
lax with the use of this term, to offer companies an alternative to the
strict free software term defined and protected by FSF, to avoid the
misleading of users.

Thanks,
Tiberiu

--