[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-08-10] increasing security in Parabola, servers

coadde coadde at riseup.net
Tue Aug 2 21:40:43 GMT 2016

On 08/02/2016 05:09 AM, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> On 08/01/2016 11:52 PM, Luke wrote:
>>> * Use a TOX server as XMPP replacement.
>> +1. Simple to use, works on my slow internet, and doesn't require a
>> central server (XMPP does require a centralized server, although it is
>> "federated" meaning we could setup our own. Tox is still more reliable imo.)
>
> As a user, I presume this is for private communication between
> developers? I’m not quite sure how Parabola uses XMPP right now.
>
> I haven’t used Tox, but the advantage of not using a centralized server
> mostly means that you don’t need to worry about the server being
> offline. Is it even possible for Tox to support delivery of messages to
> offline users in the future? AFAIK XMPP as a protocol could in theory be
> used without a central server. I don’t understand why they do not simply
> use XMPP with GPG for a uniform standard.
>
> Since for Parabola this is about software and not protocols, it probably
> does not matter much. I don’t think Tox as a protocol is the right
> direction though.

For minor situation i suggest to create TOX client in the server:
* run the TOX client as service
* create the "parabola" user
* create the "parabola" group from the "parabola" user
* permits all Parabola hackers to access the "parabola" group, due it's
permits to use it as conferences
* and optional i suggest to create pbot-like script in the "parabola"
user, it's useful