[Dev] Sustainable Donations for Parabola Project

Luke g4jc at openmailbox.org
Wed Apr 27 01:12:40 GMT 2016

On 04/26/2016 09:01 PM, IngeGNUe wrote:

> I am a simple working class support tech, but I've been thinking about
> y'all and will sign on as a monthly donor if an easy way to make
> recurring contributions like one of these is implemented. Not as a donor
> to any particular person (that feels awkward), but to the team /
> Parabola project.
>
> Also, cheers for seeking an alternative to Paypal. If it wasn't for
> ~~Paypal~~ PayENEMY, Neo900's funds wouldn't have been frozen.
>
> I am sorry that the Parabola devs are going through a hardship.
>
> What is most of the full time spent on? Could any part of it be automated?
>
> IngeGNUe

I know a lot of time is spent to build packages, especially kernels.
Emulatorman currently maintains about 800+ critical packages, including
our linux-libre kernels.
We could try to automate this with a build-server, but it would be risky
to do this via VPS to insure package integrity from hackers,
third-parties, etc.

I also only work part-time, and currently donate two mirrors, but I have
been thinking on how to keep the core development team around for the
long-term.
As such, I won't be seeking any donations at this time. But to the core
developers that need it, you know who you are and we thank you for your
generous contribution to keep Parabola GNU/Linux-libre alive and working
as it is today! :)

Luke