[Dev] Let's revert and move changes introduced by bugs #645 and #677 on Iceweasel

Jorge Araya Navarro elcorreo at deshackra.com
Thu Nov 5 01:33:11 GMT 2015

I really hate the next phrase, because when someone else says it sounds pedantic, but here it
comes: patches are welcome. There is nothing inherently bad with loop-server that forbids anyone to
modify its source code (or to exercise any of the other three freedoms) to make loop-server work
with any Free Software WebRTC backend, so, nobody is *really* lock because there is nothing legally
speaking that prevents someone with the knowledge to do the mentioned changes. Objectively speaking,
we are dealing with Free[1] Software[2].

Tox looks awesome, however, people is damn lazy. FH is convenient not just for anyone using a
Firefox-based browser but because people can chat with the user even if they don't use Firefox,
people wouldn't mind opening a link to do some VoIP chat. But if you say "hey, contact me here, this
is my SIP address" they will complain, get mad and ask you if you have Skype, because, again: people
is daaamn lazy.

Sometimes that laziness puts me like Jack Nicholson in the movie The Shinning. It just drives me
crazy.

[1]: http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/browser/components/loop
[2]: https://github.com/mozilla-services/loop-server

El miércoles 04 de noviembre del 2015 a las 1642 horas, Luke escribió:

> They should provide a libre API, and allow true federation - people
> could host their own Hello Servers w/ open Authentication. Until that is
> possible, it's pretty well locked down.
>
> The good news is, Tox is a very good and user-friendly replacement.
> There's also Jitsi and SIP.
>
>>> My point was, that someone, somewhere, has to run proprietary software
>>> on their machines in order to get FFH to work, and that's a bad thing.
>> Someone already runs it (or not), no one else would need to run it too.
>>
>> But if the service was slower and with random delay, it would be
>> completely ok: we wouldn't know if it uses software or humans to perform
>> its API requests.

👋 Pax et bonum.
Jorge Araya Navarro
https://es.gravatar.com/shackra