[Dev] Server Concerns

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 15:03:01 GMT 2015

On 10/12/15 12:10, Michał Masłowski wrote:
> Current status: Mailman admin interface was not working due to
> insufficient disk space.  I compressed one of the old PostgreSQL
> backups.
>
>>> We have several old backups of this data, for various PostgreSQL
>>> versions and architectures.
>>
>> are these backups the extra ~3G?
>
> We need a clear policy of which backups to keep and where.
>
>>> MySQL doesn't have such backups; I don't know its root password and I'm
>>> not interested in resetting it again.
>>
>> i'm making experiments with backupninja, i'll come back with more info
>> later on.
>
> Any info?
>
> Could we setup some monitoring tools to detect such issues earlier?
> Also the usual wiki availability problems.  (I'm personally interested
> in Shinken, but I don't have experience with these.)

In regards to people mirroring parabola also requiring more space (as a
secondary issue to that of running out of space on the server). Isn't
there a way to partially mirror different parts of parabola either way?

If so, it might be worth reconsidering buying more space on the server,
as, to me, this still seems preferable to deleting stuff or taking it
offline completely, even if there are only a few mirrors.

That said, I'm not sure what the parabola funds are like, but hard-disk
drives are fairly cheap.