[Dev] libretools 20130914 release anouncement

Luke T. Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 15 00:39:00 GMT 2013

I just released libretools 20130914.

There hasn't been a libretools release announcement in a while (the
last one was for 20130605.1) because most of the changes since the
last announcement have been minor or bugfixes.

Significant changes from 20130605.1 to 20130812:
 * Add man pages
 * Add `libregit`, a git downloader
 * libremakepkg:
   * Add -N flag to enable networking
   * Add distcc support
 * librefetch:
   * Simplify invocation
   * Add -P flag for debugging
   * A bugfix changed the check-sums for svn-based tarballs.

From 20130812 to 20130914:
==========================

The major changes are internal, but they are big enough that users
should be aware, because big changes frequently mean bugs or
breakage.

There are two major changes:
 * (partial) internationalization
 * updating to the new devtools

User-facing changes:
 * librechroot: Add -r and -w flags to configure bind mounts
 * libremakepkg:
   * Networking is no longer enabled during prepare()
   * Sources are downloaded before entering the chroot
   * The output format changed significantly
 * libremessages:
   * `lock_open_write` was renamed to `lock`
   * `lock_open_read` was renamed to `slock`
 * Helper programs (mkarchroot, chcleanup, distcc-tool) are no longer
   in PATH.  This means there is less user-facing complexity.

Bugfixes:
 * libre{stage,release}: Issue #379: The staging directory is locked
   so that librerelease won't delete files that it didn't really
   upload.
 * libremakepkg: Issue #380: Handle {PKG,SRC,LOG}DEST being set but
   not existing.
 * libremakepkg: Issue #388: Will now correctly copy in VCS source
   directories, even though you shouldn't be using them.

Updating devtools
-----------------

There have been some major changes in devtools, so this had to be
reflected in libretools.

libremessages:
  * `lock_open_write` was renamed to `lock`
  * `lock_open_read`  was renamed to `slock`

helper-scripts:
  * archroot got split into mkarchroot and arch-nspawn
  * All helper scripts (archroot/mkarchroot/arch-nspawn, distcc-tool,
    chcleanup) are no longer installed to PATH, meaning that
    user-facing complexity has gone down.

librechroot:
  libremakepkg now only uses librechroot, it never uses arch-chroot or
  friends manually.  To support this, librechroot had to learn flags
  to control bind mounts, which is how the new devtools copies in
  source files (this feature happens to be our issue #251).  Other
  than this, the changes to librechroot are pretty trivial and
  straight-forward.  The biggest change is to accommodate archroot
  being split.

libremakepkg:
  Looking at the diff isn't even helpful; there were major changes.
  Honestly, the changes to libremakepkg probably could have been a
  lot smaller, but... I wanted to do it right/be clean.  makechrootpkg
  in devtools got cleaned up a lot, actually a lot of the same changes
  I was making.  But, the small differences between the way we did
  things made it less than simple to adjust.  The biggest changes in
  terms of conflict for me are how devtools now uses bind-mounts to
  put files in the chroot, and that the /chrootbuild file is more
  complicated.

  I handled a lot of the complexity by moving things out of the main
  program, and adding hooks for non-core functionality, including
  chcleanup, distcc compatibility hacks, and PKGBUILD/pkg
  checking. Unfortunately, the files containing the hooks are
  currently hard-coded.  Perhaps they will be truly plug-able in the
  future.  That might be neat.  Or over-complicated.  We'll see where
  it goes.

  I then changed the output format to be more clear about the
  hierarchy; the output of the commands it calls was at the same level
  as its own output.  Now, the output of sub-commands is prefixed with
  " |  ", which hugely increases the ability to tell what is going on,
  but means that some of it doesn't have color.

Internationalization
--------------------

This is fairly unlikely to break anything.

The internationalization is incomplete, but the *framework* is there.
All message printing functions are gettext-aware, and we have
functions for dealing with prose in --help text--something that is
very difficult to do in shell scripts.  The build system also knows how
to create .pot files for all programs.  What's left is:
 * making sure no programs use string interpolation for messages
 * teaching the build system to create and install .mo files
 * using the functions for dealing with prose in all programs
There may also be issues with the locale and/or translation files not
transferring into the chroot properly, even though the programs in the
chroot are internationalized.  Then, there's the translating itself.
It will take time and testing.

If you want to use the new internationalization functions, they are
(in libremessages):

 * prose: Prints a word-wrapped printf-formatted string
 * bullet: Like prose, but adds a bullet point to the first line, and
   indents the rest.
 * flag: The first argument is a flag (non-translated), and the second
   argument is a (translated) description of the flag that is
   word-wrapped.

Detailed changes for all the releases I skipped doing announcements for: