[Dev] GIMP is not libre (GIMP-LIBRE soon)

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Sat May 5 11:39:25 GMT 2012

> Hi guys, yesterday gimp 2.8 was released and include a splash screen
> that doesn't respect our freedom
> http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00420-gimp-2-8-finally-released
>
> "This work by Richard Hirner is licensed under the
> Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported terms."

I know these other facts:

- http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00419-gsoc-2012-gimp-gegl-projects has a
  similar caption

- the LICENSE file in gimp-2.8.0 source states this:

* The GIMP application core, and other portions of the official GIMP
  distribution not explicitly licensed otherwise, are licensed under
  the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE -- see the 'COPYING' file in this
  directory for details.

- the data/images/gimp-splash.png file has no license-related metadata
  and no other file in obvious place like that directory states any
  copying information

- you haven't posted any reference to the GIMP source here.

I believe this caption is incorrect or refers to the review instead of
to the image.  So it's not a problem in the GIMP or Parabola.