[Dev] [issue352] [truecrypt] Package is non-free

Joshua Ismael Haase Hernandez hahj87 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 03:37:52 GMT 2012

If after this mail I find no objection I will set back to resolved
tomorrow. Hope this does.

Section II. 2 states:

Provided that You comply with all applicable terms and conditions of
this License, /**** You may use This Product freely (see also Chapter III) on
any number of computers/systems for non-commercial and/or commercial
purposes. ****/

Setion III. 1 states:

If all conditions specified in the following paragraphs in this Chapter
(III) are met (for exceptions, see Section III.2) and if You comply with
all other applicable terms and conditions of this License, You may
modify This Product (thus forming Your Product), derive new works from
This Product or portions thereof (thus forming Your Product), include
This Product or portions thereof in another product (thus forming Your
Product, unless defined otherwise in Chapter I), and /**** You may use (for
non-commercial and/or commercial purposes), copy, and/or distribute Your
Product. ****/

> aloniv added the comment:
>
> I just took a look at the license page here:
>
> http://www.truecrypt.org/legal/license
>
> Note that I assume "no-charge" means that you cannot charge money for modifications you make
> to the software hence it is unclear whether whether the license is free or not:

The section you cited III.e states:

To summarize:

a) While you distribute derived works source code must be public.

b) The code must not be offuscated.

c) License of derived works must be compatible with this license for no
extra fee. (The license must be no-charge). It does not forbid selling
the program.

Full text:

The complete source code of Your Product must be freely and publicly
available (for exceptions, see Section III.2) at least until You cease
to distribute Your Product. This condition can be met in one or both of
the following ways: (i) You include the complete source code of Your
Product with every copy of Your Product that You make and distribute and
You make all such copies of Your Product available to the general public
free of charge, and/or (ii) You include information (valid and correct
at least until You cease to distribute Your Product) about where the
complete source code of Your Product can be obtained free of charge
(e.g., an Internet address) or for a reasonable reproduction fee with
every copy of Your Product that You make and distribute and, if there is
a web site officially associated with Your Product, You include the
aforementioned information about the source code on a freely and
publicly accessible web page to which such web site links via an easily
viewable hyperlink (at least until You cease to distribute Your
Product).

The source code of Your Product must not be deliberately obfuscated and
it must not be in an intermediate form (e.g., the output of a
preprocessor). Source code means the preferred form in which a
programmer would usually modify the program.

Portions of the source code of Your Product not contained in This
Product (e.g., portions added by You in creating Your Product, whether
created by You or by third parties) must be available under license(s)
that (however, see also Subsection III.1.e) allow(s) anyone to modify
and derive new works from the portions of the source code that are not
contained in This Product and to use, copy, and redistribute such
modifications and/or derivative works. The license(s) must be perpetual,
non-exclusive, royalty-free, no-charge, and worldwide, and must not
invalidate, weaken, restrict, interpret, amend, modify, interfere with
or otherwise affect any part, term, provision, or clause of this
License. The text(s) of the license(s) must be included with every copy
of Your Product that You make and distribute