[Dev] [votation] Operating system name

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Wed Jan 18 10:36:29 GMT 2012

> What do you want the formal name of the operating system to be?
>
> Options brought up so far:
>  1. "Parabola GNU/Linux-libre"
>  2. "Parabola GNU/Linux"
>  3. "Parabola GNU"
>  4. "Parabola"
>
> Both 1 and 2 have been the official official name so far.
[...]
> Options 3 and 4 have appealed to several of us because it opens the
> possibilites of other kernels, such as GNU HURD or kFreeBSD.

We can use the Debian way of naming the whole system/project "Parabola",
the system with Linux-libre (and packages built to use glibc on Linux
ABIs) "Parabola GNU/Linux-libre", with Hurd "Parabola GNU/Hurd", with
kFreeBSD "Parabola GNU/kLibreBSD" or "Parabola GNU/kFreeBSD-libre"
depending on kernel deblobbing.

So my argument is mostly for 4, although practically it's for 1 until we
have a port for another kernel.

(A port to a FreeBSD kernel would make a name like "Parabola
GNU/Linux-libre mips64el" necessary to avoid ambiguity.)