[Dev] [votation] Operating system name

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Wed Jan 18 12:44:13 GMT 2012

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:19:46 -0500, Luke T.Shumaker <lukeshu at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> This was discussed a little in the votation about the domain name,
> but:
>
> What do you want the formal name of the operating system to be?
>
> Options brought up so far:
>  1. "Parabola GNU/Linux-libre"
>  2. "Parabola GNU/Linux"
>  3. "Parabola GNU"
>  4. "Parabola"
>
> Both 1 and 2 have been the official official name so far.
>
> Our latest news post (about parabola.nu) and the related wiki article
> both use option 3. (by Charles)
>
> Options 3 and 4 have appealed to several of us because it opens the
> possibilites of other kernels, such as GNU HURD or kFreeBSD.
>
> ----
>
> My argument for option 4 ("Parabola"):
>
>  * It's what we all say anyway.
>  * In hope of addopting other kernels.
>  * In agreement with sharkx:
>    > I voted for parabola.nu because it dose not have gnu in its
>    > name.  While we follow gnu's philosophy of free software, we are
>    > not affiliated to the gnu organization as such.  ".nu" has no
>    > meaning to me.
>
> ~ Luke Shumaker
>
> Yay for bikeshedding!

I generally think of Parabola as the project (meaning community plus
specific goals), but I often use it as a shortcut for the system -
Parabola GNU/Linux-libre. Parabola GNU/Linux always looks misleading,
since we're using Linux but a specific fork of it, that should me
mentioned.

If we were going to be a GNU project it's custom to use GNU Parabola,
not Parabola GNU. This one could refer to the system GNU libs, compilers
and utils + Hurd, since all of them are GNU projects. This way it should be called
"Parabola GNU system" or "Parabola's GNU system".

My vote is for Parabola for the project and GNU/Linux-libre for the
system we're working on :)

PS: Lots of voting lately, I like the democratic practice :)