[Dev] Suggestions for the Parabola's Project

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Mon Jan 16 21:54:37 GMT 2012

>> Not that this shouldn't be done, but out of general interest are their any
>> 100% freedom respecting ARM devices at the moment? Last I looked into this
>> (which was two years ago), they all required binary blobs for their 3D
>> graphics, and the 3rd party company that controlled that seemed unlikely to
>> release either specs or code under a copyleft license.
>
> The GeeksPhone One (ARMv6) (and I presume the GeeksPhone Zero)[1] is
> freedom respecting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSM7000 suggests it having a similar SoC
to Replicant-supported phones having nonfree baseband processor firmware
with access to all system memory.  It also has a GPU, I haven't found if
it has free drivers or documentation.

> Rhombus-Tech[2] is creating a Raspberry Pi-like product that will be
> 100% freedom respecting. Even the hardware designs are free.[3]

They are not yet creating a product without 3D graphics,
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/orders/#software-freedom-information

> I am not sure about the OpenMoko Freerunner.

I'm also not sure.