[Dev] Suggestions for the Parabola's Project

Luke T.Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 16 22:52:13 GMT 2012

At Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:54:37 +0100,
Michał Masłowski wrote:
> >> Not that this shouldn't be done, but out of general interest are their any
> >> 100% freedom respecting ARM devices at the moment? Last I looked into this
> >> (which was two years ago), they all required binary blobs for their 3D
> >> graphics, and the 3rd party company that controlled that seemed unlikely to
> >> release either specs or code under a copyleft license.
> >
> > The GeeksPhone One (ARMv6) (and I presume the GeeksPhone Zero)[1] is
> > freedom respecting.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSM7000 suggests it having a similar SoC
> to Replicant-supported phones having nonfree baseband processor firmware
> with access to all system memory.  It also has a GPU, I haven't found if
> it has free drivers or documentation.

Well damn.
https://github.com/rmcc/proprietary_vendor_geeksphone/tree/master/one/proprietary

> > Rhombus-Tech[2] is creating a Raspberry Pi-like product that will be
> > 100% freedom respecting. Even the hardware designs are free.[3]
>
> They are not yet creating a product without 3D graphics,
> http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/orders/#software-freedom-information

That's really disappointing that the Allwinnder A10 isn't
freedom-respecting. Now, Rhombus is also considering a
BeagleBone-based product that may use a AM3357 instead of a
AM3358. The AM3357 doesn't have the 3D graphics engine, so it would be OK.