[Assist] Brave Browser

Freemor freemor at freemor.ca
Fri Jun 19 00:50:55 GMT 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:21:33PM +0200, brskinzdenuncia at tuta.io wrote:
> I use Brave Browser. Will it be added to Parabola repositories any time soon?
> I checked /usr/share/doc/your-freedom/blacklist.txt and the package names
> "brave" and "brave-browser" isn't there, so I assume it hasn't been
> blacklisted. I also contacted Luke Smith, a YouTuber that uses Parabola, and
> he responded saying that Brave is free software. Any info on this? Thanks in
> advance!

Unfortunately Brave == Chromium == All the current freedom questions with that.
See issue #1167 @ https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1167 for all the long and
ongoing  discussion on that.

Also Brave has been requested before and has it's own issues on top of the
Chromium issue.

See issue #1034 @ https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1034

Tho those are quite old and may need re-evaluation. Tho Brave did just get in
hot water for redirecting manually entered URLs to their affiliate program.

See:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/8/21283769/brave-browser-affiliate-links-crypto-privacy-ceo-apology

I guess the old adage that "Security is proven, Not claimed" Applies to
privacy and freedom as well.