[Assist] Fw: new installer-only LiveISOs - feedback wanted

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Jan 17 21:44:56 GMT 2020

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 20:13:10 +0000 edgar at openmail.cc wrote:
> I don't feel as if I had a say on this, because I don't
> maintain anything. I appreciate the request for opinion.

you totally have a say - parabola was intended from the
beginning to be community-driven - that is even made explicit in
the parabola mission statement:

  "the community is to be included whenever there is a need to
   make a decision. We encourage community participation in the
   development of the project."

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 20:13:10 +0000 edgar at openmail.cc wrote:
> I think that having the initial ncurses menu to go
> into (1) Calamares-only, (2) no-X and (3) graphical interface
> could be a good option. After all, the DE is only executed in
> one line of the Xinit process, right?

right, that is no a big technical challenge - i would want to
keep the graphical ISOs a separate from the one i described
though; because the desktop roughly doubles the download size of
the ISO - the large downloads are another usability concern;
and the reason i think most people avoid the dual ISOs - those
double the file size again - but adding only X, calamares, and
orca to the CLI ISOs, would keep the file size much smaller than
the ones that include calamares now, and closer to size of the
current CLI ISOs

ive always assumed that most people just want to install the
system as easily as possible - i really dont know how many
people use it as a live system - maybe those people do not need
the installer? - keeping QT off the ISO could slim it down a bit
too