[Assist] Fw: new installer-only LiveISOs - feedback wanted

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Jan 17 21:43:38 GMT 2020

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 20:13:10 +0000
From: edgar
To: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [Assist] new installer-only LiveISOs - feedback
wanted

I don't feel as if I had a say on this, because I don't maintain
anything. I appreciate the request for opinion.

If the idea is to not have a graphical LiveISO, I think that
this is going to affect the user base. I usually don't want to
install extra software to see or show if a distro would work
fully with my computer. If I have to recommend a distro to
someone who is not well acquainted with Linux, I tend to
facilitate the transition. Having a graphical interface with the
LiveISO is good for that. One could say that the graphical part
could be installed from the shell, but this would not be very
welcoming (if that is a correct term).

Going to the root of the matter (users with different
abilities), I think that having the initial ncurses menu to go
into (1) Calamares-only, (2) no-X and (3) graphical interface
could be a good option. After all, the DE is only executed in
one line of the Xinit process, right?

Personally, I like LXDE, but if the distro comes with another DE
and it works on my computer, I just try to reconfigure to my
liking.

As always, thank you very much.