[Assist] Minitube: No available API keys

Megver83 megver83 at hyperbola.info
Thu Apr 9 18:42:10 GMT 2020

El jue, 09-04-2020 a las 16:33 +0200, Félicien Pillot escribió:
> When I launch the program it gives me the error mention in subject
> line.
>
> It seems that this libre/ software requires the user to create a
> Google
> account (and thus enabling nonfree javascript) in order to create an
> API key in order to avoid the proprietary software present in
> YouTube??
> This sounds quite absurd...

the difference is that you just have to run it once, and you can do it
in an isolated VM with a container inside it that runs another isolated
Tor Browser where you can do it, after resolving a hundred Google
captchas (ok, I was joking about the extreme security, but seriously,
you can run the nonfree js in a safe and controled environment, and
just once)

> Why Minitube doesn't just work out like any other software
> distributed
> by Parabola?

Idk, honestly, but it might be to avoid what happened with youtube-
viewer: too many users using the same API key (built-in the software)
provoked it to get blocked by Google

> BTW, the minitube's window is also freezing my desktop (Plasma
> 5.18.4)
> but that is another issue.

Logs, debug info, and others could be provided so we can help.
Otherwise, report it in the bug tracker

> Thanks for your work, and happy hacking!

\o/