[Assist] ati radeon -- blank screen

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Mon Jun 16 12:14:07 GMT 2014

>    Currently I am talking about a text-only (console) installation,
>    I dont have X installed.

It's mostly the same: the radeon kernel driver does modesetting for
console and X.  Use the "nomodeset" kernel argument to disable it
(e.g. add to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and run
update-grub).

>    How do I setup this ATI video hardware in Parabola ?
>    Particularly, should the libre ati-radeon driver basically work
>    without the firmware - if yes how do I setup it? If not - how do I
>    switch to VESA?

It doesn't work without firmware on recent cards, this one might be new
enough.  Use nomodeset and the VESA driver, xf86-video-vesa.