[Maintenance] Forward: Server takes a long time to reboot

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 27 02:49:02 BST 2015

Luke Shumaker wrote:

> Subject Re: [nevermind] [parabola] I messed up.
>
> On Tue, 26 May 2015 21:32:08 -0400,
> Luke Shumaker wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > Sorry to bother you again.
> >
> > I rebooted the Parabola server about half an hour ago, and it hasn't
> > come back up.  I suspect that the issue is
> > https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44016 but I don't really know.  Any
> > assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Nevermind, it came back up while I was writing the email.
>
> That's the 3rd time it's come back up right when I email you :P  I
> thought waiting 30 minutes meant there was definitely an issue.
>
> Sorry to bother you!

I just rebooted the server, and it took half an hour!

Looking at the log, the issue isn't boot time, it's shut-down time!

It gets to trying to unmount /srv, gets "target is busy", then ~27
minutes later reboot.target/start times out and it finally goes down.

I don't know what was keeping /srv busy, but we should look into that.

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker