[Dev] wiki-editing / translations

Daniel koffeinfriedhof at disroot.org
Fri May 26 18:03:35 GMT 2023

Hi Luke!

On Tuesday, 23 May 2023 05.27.17 CEST Luke Shumaker wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2023 05:58:09 -0600,
>
> Daniel wrote:

> >  - As there is no signing in with my parabola account, is the mailing list
> >  the>
> > right place to publish changes like site translations? Would be great to
> > have a kind of reviewing as I get "blind" while translating a larger part
> > of text.
> Are you saying you're having trouble signing in to
> https://wiki.parabola.nu ?  If so, we should fix that.  Do note that
> wiki.parabola.nu accounts are separate from labs.parabola.nu accounts.
Well, if it is possible, I did not find a way to a registration page. Manually
calling https://wiki.parabola.nu/Special:UserLogin/signup results in a
"Permission Error […]  The action you have requested is limited to users in
the group: Administrators. ".
> But yes, if you would like someone to review your work,
> dev at lists.parabola.nu is a fine place to post.
Thanks. I prefer proof reading as I'm not a native speaker and sometimes I'm
blinded by focus.
> >  - Do you favor translating english parabola-pages  (like I did) or adjust
> >
> > archwiki-pages to keep close to them?
> >
> >  - is there already a possibility to work offline? I do my editing in
> >  emacs and>
> > do not really like the web-edit stuff.
>
> SAME.  I just copy the text into Emacs and then copy it back to the
> webpage when I'm done.
That does work, but lacks formatting, links, etc. I thought there was already
a fine tool. Doesn't matter that much.
> For a while I was working on modifying MediaWiki to use a Git backend
> instead of MariaDB, so that Emacs editing was smoother.  But sadly, I
> never finished that project...
>
> I think I once came accross an Emacs package that let you edit MediaWiki
> pages via TRAMP?  I don't remember why I didn't start using it.
I found a mediawiki.el which required login credentials, but did not look into
it.
> > And last but not least: The english pages itself could need some more
> > information on contributing as it is difficult to really get an idea how
> > you imagined a workflow while setting the site up.
>
> The answer is that it was originally based off of the Arch Wiki
> version of the page.  And then got outdated, and it's easier to simply
> remove outdated information than to update it.  And then the Arch Wiki
> version got totally rewritten, and smashing the two back together got
> hard.  And also, IMO the Arch Wiki version isn't particularly good
> these days either.
So tl;dr: Do what you want, but do it properly ;)
Okay. I'll get a wiki account first, then add the translated stuff as it is
nearly finished.
> (PS: I replied to the list, rather than the usual thing of replying to
> you and Cc'ing the list, so hopefully winston.parabola.nu will forward
> it to you, working around the fact that t-online.de has blacklisted
> my mail server)
Worked fine, but I've now switched as promised. Hope this one will be easiert
to handle ;)