[Dev] h-client: Help on understanding traceback for "cannot convert float infinity to integer"

Daniel parabola at koffeinfriedhof.de
Thu May 25 19:34:29 GMT 2023

Hi all!

I have an annoying bug with h-client and cannot track it down.

Two setups tested: Both parabola, one is a native installation on a corebooted
X220, the second one a virtual qemu/kvm machine. Both using X11 with dwm as
window manager and a real basic setup. Python was fresh installed for h-client
(not intenionally, I just didn't need it before).

I'm using the `mk` executable to test. The change applied to `mk` was setting
python to 3.11 instead of 3.10.

Most of the time the startup breaks with error messages like `OverflowError:
-309832577354090958134173274174652416 not in range 0 to 65535` in "/usr/lib/
python3.11/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gdk.py", sometimes with the message
`OverflowError: cannot convert float infinity to integer`, which appears to me to
be the same thing (multiplication exeeds MAX of an unsigned value or so).
Both originating to get_widget_color.

What I've tried so far:
 - user installation with `python ./setup.py --user --optimize 2`
 - removing and reinstalling python and all occurences in ~/.local/
 - removing build, egg, etc. from h-client clone (gets rebuild with mk)
 - straced it, but I did not understand much ;)
 - Trying to search the web of course

As I do not know the process of building an application with setup, egg and
stuff — which mostly results in web searches telling me that it is deprecated
and to use the new approach — I need help in further investigating the issue.

In the attached file are examples of both error messages and one full log of
`mk` output from the virtual machine. If you need more information, just ask.
It is not reproducible every time, but that often that I can test it.

Thank you!
Daniel