[Dev] [qtcreator] The qtcreator package is outdated

Daniil Kovalev daniil at kovalev.website
Tue May 16 14:45:18 GMT 2023

The version of libre-testing/qtcreator is 6.0.0 and it's last updated on
2021-12-05. Compared to the package from standard Arch repositories, it does
not rely on non-free web engine component.

As for now, extra/qtcreator in standard Arch Linux repos has version 10.0.1.
While qt-webengine still might be used as a help viewer, there are another
options for that, for example, litehtml. And litehtml is actually the default
option - see these two lines in src/plugins/help/CMakeLists.txt:

```
set(HELPVIEWER_DEFAULT_BACKEND "litehtml" CACHE STRING "Sets default help
viewer backend")
set_property(CACHE HELPVIEWER_DEFAULT_BACKEND PROPERTY STRINGS
"litehtml;qtwebengine;textbrowser")
```

I was able to build qtcreator on my Parabola machine locally using PKGBUILD
from Arch repos and without using qt-webengine. The help viewer works and
relies on litehtml as expected - see the following commands output:

```
$ ldd lib/qtcreator/plugins/libHelp.so | grep litehtml | wc -l
2
$ ldd lib/qtcreator/plugins/libHelp.so | grep webengine | wc -l
0
```

Could someone clarify what's the state of qtcreator in libre-testing now? It's
not updated for 1.5 years as for now. I see that there are some changes
regarding i686 support - maybe the testing is stuck because of some
i686-related issues?

As a technical person, C++ programmer and enthusiast, I can help with updating
the PKGBUILD and testing the package. Please let me know if there's some work
on the package performed now and if I can do something valuable in terms of
making it up-to-date.

Best regards, Daniil Kovalev