[Dev] libreboot-utils, moving forward.

Wael Karram wael at waelk.tech
Tue Feb 21 19:15:54 GMT 2023

On Tue, 2022-12-27 at 17:50 +0100, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2022 09:12:41 +0200
> Wael Karram <wael at waelk.tech> wrote:

> > > that could be a mksource PKGBUILD - parabola could provide a
> > > pre-cleaned source-ball; but those patches would be carried and
> > > maintained forever, so that solution is essentially soft-forking
> > > libreboot

> > > ok, now i am more convinced that the new libreboot direction is
> > > not well aligned with parabola - AFAIK, the D8 and D16 are the
> > > only powerful servers which can boot the original no-blobs
> > > libreboot; and these are libreboot's only significant targets
> > > besides thinkpads - if such important targets are no longer
> > > supported, i would be inclined to put the entire project into
> > > maintenance-mode, rather than shifting the meaning of "libre" to
> > > accommodate the ever-worsening lost cause that is x86 - does
> > > libreboot support any other than x86? - maybe it's day has
> > > passed, and it is just not needed any more
> > >
> > > put another way, it just seems that x86 precludes "moving
> > > forward" in a libre direction - to me, "moving forward" means
> > > looking away from x86 toward ARM, RISCV, and POWER9 - at least
> > > those arches are trending toward libre-friendly, rather than away
> >
> > Specifically about D8 and D16 I know that the issue is upstream
> > dropping support.
> > https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2018-April/086618.html
> > Here is some of the discussion on that.
> > I presume someone can fork off of Coreboot and maintain it if that
> > hardware is needed, and maybe that fork can be merged back into
> > upsteam. But at least since 2018 these boards have been dropped.
> > Since Libreboot didn't have a stable release since 2016 - the latest
> > release(s) had these boards vanish.
> An association already applied for NLnet funding to bring that
> mainboard back into Coreboot. We don't know yet if that funding will be
> accepted or not.
>
> Libreboot also has the infrastructure to use different coreboot
> versions or patches for different computers. So for instance the
> payloads and so on can at least be updated.
>
> Denis.

After the discussion was brought up in the IRC channel today, bill-auger advised
me to follow up on this issue.
As it stands it seems as though Libreboot still contains libre code for the
utilities and will do so for the foreseeable future.
The issue with the post-osboot merge is that the ROMs might have blobs, but
seeing as we aren't using that I think it still makes sense to just clean up all
the ROM code and just use the utilities (they're even contained in their own
separate directory).

Why not do a sparse checkout of libreboot's git and make the package that way?

I do realize that this totally skirts the issues with the ROMs, but this way we
can stick to a smaller and more specific scope.

--
Kind Regards,
Wael Karram.