[Dev] libreboot-utils, moving forward.

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Sat Dec 24 16:55:34 GMT 2022

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 01:42:14 +0100 Denis wrote:
> Since that nonfree
> software will not be removed anymore, we won't be able to use the newer
> tarballs.
>
> I'm already in discussion with other people to continue a libre
> version of Libreboot.

that could be a mksource PKGBUILD - parabola could provide a
pre-cleaned source-ball; but those patches would be carried and
maintained forever, so that solution is essentially soft-forking
libreboot

> for some of the boards it supported before like the KGPE D16.

ok, now i am more convinced that the new libreboot direction is
not well aligned with parabola - AFAIK, the D8 and D16 are the
only powerful servers which can boot the original no-blobs
libreboot; and these are libreboot's only significant targets
besides thinkpads - if such important targets are no longer
supported, i would be inclined to put the entire project into
maintenance-mode, rather than shifting the meaning of "libre" to
accommodate the ever-worsening lost cause that is x86 - does
libreboot support any other than x86? - maybe it's day has
passed, and it is just not needed any more

put another way, it just seems that x86 precludes "moving
forward" in a libre direction - to me, "moving forward" means
looking away from x86 toward ARM, RISCV, and POWER9 - at least
those arches are trending toward libre-friendly, rather than away