[Dev] libreboot-utils, moving forward.

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Sun Dec 18 00:42:14 GMT 2022

On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 12:10:44 +0200
Wael Karram <wael at waelk.tech> wrote:

> Hello,
Hi,

> Seeing as libreboot isn't strictly FSDG-compliant anymore, and since
> we were using it as a deblobbed coreboot downstream to build the
> binaries (all of which are still free software) in libreboot-utils;
> should we simply do a git checkout of the free parts on the build
> (and that way side-step the blobs - as they are in a separate
> directory).
>
> Does that seem like a reasonable solution?
That is probably not sufficient, if I recall well, some of the files
libreboot removes have nonfree software in them. Since that nonfree
software will not be removed anymore, we won't be able to use the newer
tarballs.

I'm already in discussion with other people to continue a libre
version of Libreboot. Personally I need that to update the u-boot
packages in Parabola, so it's quite urgent for me.

Another issue with the tools is that Leah's Libreboot dropped support
for some of the boards it supported before like the KGPE D16. And the
tools probably work fine with the previous release of Libreboot. So the
issue here is that ideally the tools should also be tested against the
older release as well because of that.

Parabola has a KGPE-D16 so it might be easy to do some quick tests.

Denis.