[Dev] Update on the PKGBUILDs license

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Wed Apr 27 00:13:32 GMT 2022

Hi,

Since the bug #2862[1] (Clarify the copyright status of PKGBUILDs) that
was opened one year ago we got some feedback.

Several people tended to consider that PKGBUILDs were not copyrightable
or wanted to have a license with something similar. And at least one
Arch contributor stated that the PKGBUILD made by that person made were
released under the unlicense[1].

So I propose to add a commit with a README stating that the PKGBUILDS
added after the commit adding this README are under the CC0 license.

The CC0 license has been choosen as it's a license that is really close
to the public domain, and that probably works in all jurisdictions.

We need a license instead of just telling that the work is under the
pulbic domain because some countries don't have a notion of public
domain or different notions of public domain, so work added to the
public domain might not work in theses countries or be nonfree in
practice.

Since adding a README cannot be done retrospectively, and that we
already have PKGBUILDs in the abslibre repository, I am also looking
for people to agree to relicense their past contribution under the CC0.

So I'm seeking two things here:
- A consensus on if it's OK to add this README.
- The agreement from the people having contributions in abslibre to
  relicense their contributions in abslibre to the CC0.

So far, the following people agreed to relicense their contributions to
the CC0 license:
- bill-auger
- Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli